Broccoli and Corn Thins® Nuggets
- Preheat oven to 176°C.
- Place Corn Thins slices into a food processor and process until a breadcrumb consistency. Spoon out 1 cups worth.
- Thaw frozen broccoli and drain excess water.
- Place broccoli with one cup of water in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave for 2½ minutes until broccoli is soft and a mushy consistency.
- Drain broccoli and finely chop.
- In a large mixing bowl add the broccoli, cheese, Corn Thins slices, oregano, whisked eggs, crushed garlic and salt, and combine well.
- Shape mixture into nugget shapes. If nuggets are not forming shapes add more processed Corn Thins slices at 1 tablespoon increase at a time.
- Place nuggets onto a lightly greased baking sheet using extra virgin olive oil spray.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Flip the nuggets and bake for an additional 10 minutes or until the nuggets are golden brown and crunchy.
Health Benefits of This Meal
This recipe gives your body a complete meal. The cheese and eggs are both high quality protein sources that give your body all the essential amino acids that you need to make a protein. All the fat-soluble vitamins A, D, E and K are included in each nugget. These vitamins play many different roles. Vitamin A, D and E help to keep your immune system working at its best. Vitamin D allows your body to absorb calcium and vitamin K keeps your blood clotting normally if you cut yourself. Vitamin A also keeps your eyes working well. Your body needs fat to properly absorb these fat-soluble vitamins which is provided in the eggs and cheese.
The Corn Thins slices, broccoli, garlic, and oregano each have different antioxidants which help to keep your body functioning at its best. It is important to include a variety of different foods in your diet as not one food can provide your body with all the nutrients it needs to function at its best.
Corn Thins slices, yolk of the egg, and broccoli are good sources of non-haem iron. Iron is needed to keep your immune system functioning optimally as well as allows oxygen to be transported around your body. The vitamin C in the broccoli helps your body to absorb this type of iron. This meal is an example of how the sum of the ingredients provides your body with added health benefits than if you consumed each ingredient by itself.
Calories: 849kJ or 203 calories per serve
8 Corn Thins slices, processed in food blender until a breadcrumb consistency
2 cups frozen broccoli pieces
3 large eggs, whisked
¾ cup reduced fat shredded cheddar cheese
½ tsp dried oregano
¼ tsp crushed garlic
¼ tsp salt
Still Hungry, then why not try something else. Check what is in your fridge or pantry, or view any of our other CORN THINS recipes for some tasty ideas.