Corn Thins Slices, Date and Blueberry Muffins
Health Benefits of this Recipe:
Each of the ingredients in these delicious muffins will provide your body with a health advantage. Corn Thins slices are a superior choice to white flour as they are a wholegrain which means your body will receive more fibre, vitamins and minerals, antioxidants as well as flavour than the refined flour choice. Extra virgin olive oil is a heart healthy oil which helps to lower your ‘bad’ LDL cholesterol and increase your ‘good’ HDL cholesterol. This helps to reduce your risk of heart disease.
Eggs and milk add a great protein source which will help to keep you feeling fuller for longer. Both these foods are good sources of the fat-soluble vitamins A and D. Which help your immune system to work at its best. These fat-soluble vitamins need fat to be absorbed properly in your body, which the extra virgin olive oil will provide. Vitamin D plays another important role and allow the calcium from the cow’s milk to be absorbed properly in your body.
Dates and blueberries are rich sources of different types of antioxidants which will help protect your body from excess free radicals. These can cause damage and disease to the cells of your body. Dates are a good source of potassium which is needed to regulate healthy blood pressure. Also, copper which works with iron to make red blood cells and magnesium which supports the health of your nerves and muscles.
Blueberries are linked to improvements in brain function and memory. Also, reducing your risk of heart disease, promote stable blood pressure and healthy cholesterol levels. Blueberries are a great source of vitamin K which is needed to create strong bones and allows normal blood clotting. Also, vitamin C which promotes optimal immune system function. Move over standard muffin recipe, this one ticks all the boxes for a healthy snack that will not only taste great but also boasts many health benefits.
5-6 Corn Thins Slices
30g Gluten Free Self raising flour
2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2/3 Cup low fat milk
3 Tbsp honey
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
Pinch of salt
1/4 Cup (55g) diced dates
1/2 Cup blueberries
- Preheat your oven to 180°C and line a 7-muffin cup tin with liners.
- Place Corn Thins Slices in a food processor and process until a smooth consistency. Scoop out 1/2 of a cup.
- Combine the processed Corn Thins slices, GF self raising flour and milk in a medium pot and bring to a boil over high heat. Once boiling, turn the heat to low and cover the pot. Cook until the milk is absorbed, about 20-25 minutes. Allow mixture to cool.
- In a bowl mix together the honey and extra virgin olive oi.
- Add in the eggs to the honey mixture and beat well. Then, add in the vanilla extract and pinch of salt. Mix until well combined.
- Add in the cooled Corn Thins mixture, dates and blueberries and stir until well mixed.
- Divide the mixture between 7 muffin tray filling almost until full.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until the top is golden brown. Check if properly baked with toothpick by inserting the pick into the centre of the muffin and it should come out clean and dry. Allow the muffins to cool in the pan completely.